Let’s face it, money can be hard to come by. If you’re dating, it’s tough to come up with ideas that will inspire romance in the person you’ve got your eye on—without breaking the bank. This video from BreakThruTV has a handful of fantastic date ideas for when the purse strings are a little tight.
- Attend a gallery show. Even if you don’t live in a big city, your town probably has a gallery that shows work from local artists. The best part about this idea is that it’s not only an excuse to get cultural with your cutie, but you support the working artists living in your area. Not to mention that there is often free wine at these things—and what’s better than free wine?
- Visit an animal shelter. Pets themselves can be exceedingly expensive, but pairing up with your crush to volunteer at an animal shelter means that you can snuggle kittens and puppies for free! This is a great way to bond, play some games, and get to know how he or she treats animals, which can be very telling.
- Go ghost hunting. This spooky, free idea can give you a good excuse to snuggle up to your sweetie. Visiting abandoned buildings or bridges at night is a creepy way to explore somewhere new where you live. Plus, you’ll want to be in physical contact with your paramour the entire time, because ghost hunting is terrifying business.
- Attend an open house. Head over to the nearest posh neighborhood and attend an open house, where the realtor lets people come in to tour the home. These events give you and your date a chance to pretend to be part of the upper crust, and see how the “other half” lives. Plus they sometimes provide free appetizers, like cheese plates or vegetable trays. Free food and a peek at how someone else lives can make for great conversation.
- Netflix and chill. This is the favorite of every dating-age millennial in the country, and it only costs as much as a subscription—divided by the number of times in a month that you use it. It’s a terrific excuse to snuggle up close on the couch and laugh at a rom-com or weep at a drama. And it can be a great way to get to know your date’s tastes. Sure, it’s typically used as code for hooking up, but it doesn’t have to be. The best part of this in-home date is that it can be whatever you want it to be.
No matter what you decide to do, it’s the person you’re doing things with that really makes them fun. With the right person, sitting on a park bench all afternoon will feel like the best date in the world. So just remember that if there are sparks flying and if your heartbeat is racing, chances are, it’s a great date.